How will we gather for Assembly 17? The Executive Committee has opted for limited on-site attendees and many options for online attendees at the hybrid Assembly 17. MWC Assembly is hosted by the three Indonesian Anabaptist-Mennonite synods in Central Java, Indonesia, 5-10 July 2022.
MWC Assembly 17 in Indonesia will welcome 700 on-site participants with the option of additional Indonesian guests for opening night and closing service. Due to COVID-19 regulations, 700 is the number currently possible.
Registration for online participation opened in December 2021. Registration for on-site Assembly will start 8 March 2022 at 22:00 Western Indonesian time.
Mennonite World Conference’s Assembly, which normally gathers thousands of Anabaptists from around the globe every six years, was postponed from 2021 to 2022 due to the pandemic.
Sangkakala Seminary (STT), a JKI seminary located outside Salatiga, will host most of the plenary sessions. In addition, “satellite” meeting places at four local congregations will live-stream evening plenaries, while the international choir sings at STT. The closing service will be celebrated at JKI Holy Stadium in Semarang.
“This way, online participants can ‘travel’ with us to different places in Indonesia,” says Liesa Unger, MWC Chief International Events Officer.
- Most of the afternoon activities -- including workshops, Global Church Village, fun and games, and children’s program -- and lodging will take place at two hotels in Salatiga.
- Morning and late-night youth program will also take place at the hotel’s indoor and outdoor venues.
- A little less than half of the 700 registration spaces for on-site Assembly are reserved for Indonesian registrants, divided up between full participation and daily participation.
- The remaining registration spaces will be divided equally between the four registration categories (based on national GDP), to give members from each region opportunity to participate. [Click here to view rate categories]
“This mode for Assembly increases complexities in planning, but offers more opportunity for local church members to engage with international visitors, creates more opportunities for online participants to get to know Indonesia and to respond faster to possible health concerns,” says Liesa Unger.
Global Youth Summit
The Global Youth Summit (GYS) on the theme “Life in the Spirit: Learn, Serve, Worship” will be attended by GYS delegates and 60 full-time participants 1-4 July 2022 in Salatiga, Central Java. Local Indonesian young adults can join for the evening worship organized by GYS delegates of different continents.
General Council and other meetings
- The General Council meetings that precede the Assembly will take place online.
“With additional visa required and quarantine periods changing frequently, the financial risk of ballooning lodging costs and rescheduling flights for more than 100 General Council delegates is too great,” says César García, MWC general secretary.
- Meetings involving the Executive Committee, Commission chairs and secretaries and MWC staff will take place in Indonesia. These groups, which normally meet face-to-face, have not been together in person since before the pandemic began.
Further information regarding workshops, network meetings, Assembly Scattered tours and lodging options will be posted on the registration site.
“We want as many people as possible to come,” says Paulus Widjaja, chair of the National Advisory Committee in Indonesia. “We first dreamed of it in Paraguay in 2009. The pandemic discouraged us but we are still very enthusiastic to bring people to Indonesia.”