Posted: March 23, 2020
With Coronavirus (COVID-19) unsettling the global human family, Mennonite World Conference leaders put confidence in the living God who says, “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you” (Isaiah 41:10).
“Join us now in prayer for the safety of the global Anabaptist family, and for an end to this epidemic,” says MWC general secretary César García. “Take every precaution recommended by health authorities. Having done what is possible, rest in confidence that God will provide. ‘Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you’ (1 Peter 5:7).
- Praise God for the decline in new Covid-19 infections in several countries.
- Praise God for healthcare workers who work tirelessly to save lives. Pray for their health and safety as they serve at risk to themselves.
- Pray for governments to exercise wisdom and compassion as they respond to the outbreak and resulting social and economic effects.
- Pray for those suffering losses, depression, isolation and the illness itself.
- Pray for mercy. Health systems are overburdened. Economies are in crisis. Many people feel despair: may they turn to God.
- Pray for a spirit of calm and generosity. Scarcity of treatment beds, medical protective equipment, drug supplies are a true concern. Pray that people would collaborate and share resources, helping each other as much as possible.
Even in the midst of deep troubles, we come together from around the world to follow Jesus, who gives us hope.
“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘The LORD is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’
“The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD” (Lamentations 3:21–26).
—Mennonite World Conference release
A message of hope from 1 Peter
Video updates Youtube playlist
Call to prayer for the human family
Join the Conversation on Social Media